Tuesday, November 25, 2008

25 November 2008

Homework for tonight: Finish reading Part Two of Balzac and the Little Chinese Seamstress (which is through page 105).

Hour One: Quiz tomorrow on your notes! Make sure you bring them with you.
Hour Two: Quiz tomorrow on the book through page 105. Be ready!

My observation from today's reading:
I really like this quote: "Once again, I watched the Little Seamstress's face with fascination. She was breathtaking, as she had been the night before at the open-air cinema. But now that she was laughing I was so utterly captivated that I wanted to marry her there and then, regardless of her being Luo's girlfriend. In her peals of laughter I caught the musky fragrance of wild orchids, stronger than the scent of the flowers lying at her feet" (88). I like the connection between the narrator and the little seamstress--it seems pure and good. I also think it is interesting that the Little Seamstress if often called "wild" or wild things are associated with her. She is this free and wild girl that fascinate them; she is happy and has this big wild laugh that seems to escape from her. Although Luo things he is more civilized than her, the narrator seems to just love her without judgment--a true friendship. The narrator feels all of this knowing she is his best friend's girlfriend and he would never betray his best friend, which makes this reaction to the little seamstress even more pure and innocent.

No comments: